Is solid wood better than veneer? Is veneer better than laminate? What exactly are the differences?
Laminate furniture consists of synthetic materials used to form a thin layer that looks like wood. Since it’s not made from wood, laminate is made to resist heat and scratches. The laminate gets its wood grain appearance through a printed process. Those printed sheets are then attached to a durable core material, such as MDF — medium-density fiber. Laminate pieces often have a shiny finish.
- It is more economical than veneer.
- It is effortless to maintain as the surface is resistant to physical damage. Wiping with a damp cloth or vacuuming is all it takes to clean the surface.
- The surface of the laminate is hard and resistant to abrasion and scratching, it can resist water up to a certain extent.
- It is a brittle material, it is not resistant to warping and fragmentation.
- Once damaged, laminates cannot be recycled.
- Standard Length and Width: 8 feet x 4 feet (2438 mm x 1219 mm)
- Easy to produce as no special skills and instruments are required.
- It can be cover plywood / MDF or chipboard, no polishing is needed.
Laminate furniture face finish furniture
Glossy rosewood venner finish furniture
The construction method for veneer furniture is similar to laminate furniture, with the primary difference being the actual material used as the outer layer. Veneer furniture uses a thin layer of real wood, unlike laminate, which is just made to look like wood. This gives the furniture piece a higher-quality appearance than laminate, which can make the part seem high end when compared to laminate.
- Its price may vary depending on the type of wood species, kind of cut and thickness of the sheet.
- The surface can be customized by polishing or painting. It requires special skills, instruments, and adhesives. Before final polish, veneer has to be smooth using sand-paper.) Thus it needs more time for the production process.
- Veneers have less resistant to abrasion and scratches as compared to laminates.
- It is a natural wood product, the surface has to be re-polished periodically. Special care has to be taken while cleaning the surface to prevent damage.
- If timely polishing and proper care are taken the material is known to last longer than laminates.Cut edges appear smooth and won’t have voids or splinters.
Solid wood furniture
Solid wood furniture is made completely of solid wood pieces. The type of wood can range from soft wood to hardwood varieties, each with distinct characteristics and features. Solid wood furniture shows all the knots, texture and variations from the original wood — and those unique features go into the final product. Each piece is special, with slight variations, even if the furniture follows the same specifications.
- Price varies depending on the type of wood species
- Much higher durability than veneer and laminate furniture
- With natural wood fragrance
- Consists of natural wood grain patterns
- Contracts and expands according to the moisture level of the environment
- More prone to bug infestation without proper maintenance
Custom wood furniture